For a list of programs with Candidacy Status or Accreditation Status, click here.
What is Candidacy Status?
Application for Candidacy Status is a pre-requisite for occupational therapist assistant and physiotherapist assistant education programs in Canada to enter the accreditation process. Once an education program has submitted the required documentation for review, and has been successful in demonstrating compliance with the candidacy status criteria, the Joint Accreditation Committee will award the program candidacy status. The program will then be scheduled for a full accreditation review.
While Candidacy Status denotes a formal affiliation of the education program with the Occupational Therapist Assistant & Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program (OTA & PTA EAP), it does not assure future attainment of accreditation status.
Applying for Candidacy Status
OTA/PTA education programs applying for candidacy status must submit:
- Candidacy Status application form (FORM-01)
- Preliminary report, including evidence to demonstrate compliance with the candidacy status criteria (FORM-02)
- Candidacy Status application fee (see Fee Schedule)
For a description of the process see GUIDE-01 Candidacy Status.
The Joint Accreditation Committee meets twice a year to review submissions, usually in February and October.
The next scheduled Joint Accreditation Committee meeting is February 27 & 28, 2017
Candidacy Status applications received prior to January 20, 2017 will be reviewed in February.
Candidacy Status applications received between January 20 and September 11, 2017 will be reviewed in October.
Maintenance of Candidacy Status
Candidacy status is awarded for a maximum of six years and is rescinded when a program is awarded accreditation status or if a program does not continue to demonstrate compliance with candidacy status criteria. Maintenance of candidacy status requires:
- submission of an annual accreditation report (online survey)
- payment of an annual fee (GUIDE-03-Fee Schedule)
- reporting of any substantive change in an education program which may affect compliance (ACC-07 Substantive Change)
- use of required text to publicly disclose candidacy status, if choosing to publish candidacy status (GUIDE-01 Candidacy Status; ACC-09 Disclosure)